Wednesday, April 30, 2008

A lot about nothing

I wanted to blog this morning but I couldn’t think of a thing to say…

This evening I don’t know if I am going to be able to stop to go to bed.

First is the Tip Of The Day…

Baking Soda… I buy baking soda from Costco and then I use half a scoop in my laundry. This allows me to cut my laundry soap usage in half.

Today was a strange day. I got some done, but I didn’t feel like it was a productive day. I even sat down once to do Bible and got distracted. Of course I didn’t notice until now. So, I will share with you my bedtime verse. I am a person who struggles with sleeping. I can sleep anytime, anywhere (just about, including on top of my luggage in a busy airport). However, SOMETIMES I struggle to go to sleep. (By the way I have recently been told, grapes and tomatoes can cause insomnia, food for thought). And I OFTEN have terrifying nightmares. When I have a lot of nightmares it makes me not want to put my head on the pillow. So, I have this verse. I correct THESE verseS:

“I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the Lord sustains me.” Psalms 3:5

“In your anger do not sin; when you are on your beds, search your hearts and be silent. Offer right sacrifices and trust in the Lord. Many are asking, ‘who can show us any good?’ Let the light of your face shine upon us, O Lord. You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound. I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.” Psalm 4:4-8

“By wisdom the Lord laid the earth’s foundations, by understanding he set the heavens in place; by his knowledge the deeps were divided, and the clouds let drop the dew. My son, preserve sound judgment and discernment, do not let them out of your sight; they will be life for you, an ornament to grace your neck. Then you will go on your way in safety, and your foot will not stumble; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet. Have no fear of sudden disaster or of the ruin that overtakes the wicked, for the Lord will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being snared.” Proverbs 3:19-26

Anyhow, for those of you who have been praying for my nightmares to go away… Thank you, they have been MUCH better. Now my challenge is going to be learning to become an early riser.

My husband’s schedule has changed…AGAIN. He now gets up at a quarter to 4. :-P So, I have to have the little ones tucked into bed early every night so they don’t wake their dad, which means an earlier morning. I am not a morning person. This is going to be a challenge. I am just going to pray and jump. I figure it is easer if I just do it all at once then if I get used to it slowly. Hopefully that will be true.

Now what did I do today… Other then therapists and cleaning the house. Not much. I did make a batch of cookies. I changed a favorite old recipe. Here is the New and Improved… I think I am going to call it:

Christmas in July

1 cup butter (and you wonder WHY I like it so much)
1 ½ cup pure maple syrup
2 tsp. Almond extract
½ tsp. sea salt
2 tsp. baking soda
3 cups whole wheat flour (from a mill and stored in a fridge or fresh ground)
3 cups quick oats
1 cup pecans
¼ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp ground cloves
¼ tsp all spice

Mix Butter and Maple syrup until smooth. Add almond extract and mix. In a different bowl mix flour, salt, soda and spices. Add to liquids. Then add quick oats and pecans.

Bake 325 for 15min.

Makes lots. It has just a hint of Christmas spice to it. If you want you probably could make all of those spices ½ tsp without over destroying the recipe, but then it would probably just be Christmas cookies.

Well, back on topic. I did not get all that much done today other then taking care of kiddo’s but my husband put on a garage sale. I would have told you no one could sell anything on a windy day in the middle of the week. But he did. One item. ALMOST enough to fill a gas tank. He continued to work out there all day. Our garage is SOOOOO close to being able to fit the van in it. Just a little longer.

Our children decided to become industrious themselves. They decided to sell rocks. I tried to talk to them about supply and demand and the fact that EVERYONE has rocks, I kindly suggested other products they could sell, but then wisdom took over and I decided to let them find out for themselves.

Little did I know. They sold two rocks and made $2.50… Go figure. One person actually walked away with a plan on what to DO with the rock!

Well, guys my bread is done rising I now need to go bake it. Hey wait, that means I can type while it cooks,… BRB.

Ok, I am back. I hear rumor even my mom is going to try the new bread recipe. I would share it with you guys, but I don’t know if it is copywrited… so I will AGAIN put the website… Not for you Momma Bug, for anyone else reading this.

www.breadbeckers.com

The bread has fit well with our new life style eating change. I served a ‘vegetable’ meal to my husband today (with much trepidation, he is a stake and potato type guy). I was surprised. It went over really well. We had it with our traditional tea sweetened with apple juice. Not one complaint. Well at least not one adult complaint. Andrew doesn’t like the almond butter on his celery. We have tried macadamia, that didn’t go over any better. It appears he is going to have to just use my yogurt ranch or I will have to brake down and give him peanut butter. Not that I mind, I just don’t want him to have it as often as we eat the almond butter.

I have a lot of supplies I want to buy in order to continue on with these food changes. Unfortunately we don’t have the funds to get them… Then the Lord blessed me today… Out of one of the mystery boxes in my garage came this handy dandy… well I don’t know really what it is, but it does EVERYTHING! It is a mixer, it is a blender (which we don’t have), it even will do bread dough,… I don’t have all the parts found and washed yet otherwise I would have tried it tonight, but soon. I am still very grateful for this surprise… I didn’t realize how much I used my blender tell it died.

Frozen fruit smoothies are great. Thanks C’s for giving us the idea.

Speaking of spending money. It is about time for me to buy curriculum. The home school convention is already over for this year, and I didn’t get to go. :-( I have not been to one before, I was very sad to miss it. I am hoping to find out if anyone knows anyone who has actually USED the Robinson curriculum. Does anyone know anything directly or indirectly about it?

Well, my bread is almost done and I should close up shop… Morning will come to fast.

God Bless All!
~H

2 comments:

Joy said...

H~
Hello, how are you doing on this fine day?
What kind of home school cur. do you like to use?
I cannnot wait to go on the bread site and get the recipes. Do not worry I do not think recipes can be have a copyright , only entire cookbooks. Otherwise several generations of women are in deep trouble. haha
Have wonderful day
Joy

2homeschool said...

Wow, I am really impressed you took the time to read all that...

I like School of Tomorrow "P.A.C.E.'s" and ABEKA (sp?). Other then that I supliment, a little here and a little there. I am looking into Saxton math and the Robinson Curriculum.

I have one with L.D. and he does best with the P.A.C.E.'s. I don't know how he would do with the Robinson. (More of a Self teach type)

The Breadbeckers make their living off of selling their product. I didn't want to post their recipe on the internet. I don't mind passing it to a single friend, but I don't want it permanetly on my site when that is how they make their living. We all understand how hard it is to make a living now-a-day's.

Their recipe book is only 6 dollers. Not a bad price. I am using it daily, but if you don't plan on making your own breads, I dont' know if you would. They have a really great CD (That I haven't finished listening to yet) on why you should make your own breads. That they give away for free.

You know there is another site you might enjoy... I think its called urban homemaker. I have it on a previous blog, just a couple blog interies ago.

Last time I got on that site they were talking about low cost meals. Bean soup, cornbread and vegtables. I guess that wont work for you though if you have one that is allergic to Beans.

Well in anycase. I was a 'joy' to year from you.

~Heather