Monday, May 11, 2009

Oh!

Oh! It has been a long time since I blogged.

I want to do a long drawn out update, but I know that is just not possible.

So here is the best of my ability:


Jonathan:

Is learning to read! (Go Dick and Jane books!)

Andrew:

Has promoted again in the Young Marines and is now a Lance Corporal. :-)

George:

Has only had one seizure since he started the meds. Has had two migraines. Has an appointment with a new neurologist next Monday.

Anna:

Anna has been diagnosed with, Mild right hemiplegic cerebral palsy, developmental apraxia of childhood, laryngomalacia, and Vaso-vagal syncope. No new symptoms, just new names. ;-)

Heather (that's me):

It appears that after 10years of being a stay at home wife and mom, my body has decided to protest. We are thinking that there is a possibility that I have a Mitral Valve Prolapse. It's not diagnosed, but the symptoms were enough to make me change my diet and habits.

I can praise the Lord in saying that I have completely come off of caffeine. I have removed most of my "high" sugar items (Sodas, candy, cakes, brownies, etc.). I have a few favorites, that I have on occasion, but that is exactly what it is now, a special treat (rocky road ice cream, in honor of momma bug, of course.) This turn about happened in one day. It was defiantly a God thing. There has been no big desire to have it all back!

My sweet husband has bought me membership at a sports club and I am now exercising 1/2 hour five days a week. (With child care provided :-) Very sweet and just what I needed to get back on my feet.

Spencer: Has Sundays off! Praise the Lord.

I hope that gets you up to date. I will TRY to check in more often, no guaranties.

~Heather

5 comments:

catgirl7300 said...

Hi ... enjoyed pics of your Dear children; U sound like a "Good" mom and prob. are BUSY,busy .... so keep this short >
Your Blog came on an ALERT I have for devel. Apraxia : my granddaughter, now 4.5 years does not TALK (makes sounds but not words): autism ? apraxia ? Dev.Delay ? she is in Early Intervention thru PA co./state ... I am not in field of these type of disorders but have wondered about Apraxia - son in law says they say she does not have it ? ....
IF/if you have a few spare moments, I'd be interested in how they diagnosed this in your daughter ; what signs of it she showed ? does she "purse" (?) her lips to kiss or other ? does she drink from water bottle like a 'fish mouth' [lips entirely around bottle, not bottle over upper lip ? ] ... two things she does or doesn't do which do not seem typical to me ?
we are SO groping for what's causing such a speech delay -- she does not show, to me, many highly Autistic symptoms .....
also, IF you've got a Great Apraxia website with much info., let me know. $$$ limitations make it difficult to go to "pricey speech therapists" like @ $80 plus per hour ! !
Thanks, a caring grammie,Barb

Joy said...

Heather,
Oh my you have so much going on with you right now.
I will keep you and your wonderful children in prayer. I truly hope that you heal and feel better very soon.
What wonderful news about Sundays off of work. That is a bug blessing indeed.
Thank you for your sweet comments about our little Ethan.
I hope that you had a wonderful Mothers day. God bless
Joy

Shauna said...

Heather, I'm praying for you and your crew, and I hope you have a happy, happy birthday!

Momma Bug said...

Yee- HA! Happy Birthday to you!!!
(Did you have Rocky Road ice cream, or go exercise?) I prefer Ice cream on my birthday...
I miss you! Call me again when the mood strikes. Are you coming to town this week?
I love ya!

-me

2homeschool said...

Catgirl7300,

Our daughter was seen by many doctors & theripists. We have had a lot of 'temporary' diagnosis, that did not 'stick'. The Apraxia was recently diagnosed by a MD board certified by Neurodevelopmental disabilities.

I am not sure I fully understand some of your questions. I am not sure what made the MD draw the conclusion that anna had Apraxia.

Anna's ability to understand is wonderful. She is able to fully understand instructions and is able to sign up to 75 A.S.L. signs.

She is able to make sounds, scream, and she is able to mimic tones. She is able to move her lips and tounge in all the correct directions, but she is does not do it when she is attempting to speak.

She offten looks like she has a brain freeze when she goes to talk.

She makes great eye contact and but tends to startle easyly.

Because it is a recent diagnosis, I don't have all that much information for you, other then that it means she is physically able, mentally compitant and yet is unable to talk.

I hope this helps. If you want to give me some more information on your little one mabye I could make some suggestions.

Q:1 were the speech issues always an issue, or did she progress normaly for a while and recently move backward in development?

Q2: Has her hearing been tested?

I am sure that I could come up with many other questions. It might be helpful to know what other tests she has had (EEG, MRI, Bailey, or other IQ) and any other information or things that don't seem normal to you.

In the mean time some things that can help.

1: ASL signs. This limits frustration on both parents and kids. ASLPRO.com is a good spot to find signs. They don't prevent children from speaking, rather they help them identify sounds to objects.

2: Automatic toothbrushes. They help stimulate the nerve endings in the mouth.

3: Mimic in front of a mirror so she can see what your mouth looks like vs. her mouth.

4: Practice vowel sounds

4 1/2: put her hand to your throat so she can feel the vibration of your voice when you talk. Then put her hand on her throat when it's her turn to talk.

5: Have patence and pray.

I hope the Lord sends you just the right people to help your granddaughter.

~Heather